Home Forum Brexit Decoded Forum The Current Situation Can I drive a bike or a car using my current driving license after Brexit? Reply To: Can I drive a bike or a car using my current driving license after Brexit?



Recent ‘No Deal’ Brexit advice from the UK government has suggested that you may wish to exchange your existing country of origin License for a UK license before 30 March 2019.

This is good advice if you are living, working or studying in the UK and intend to remain here are a resident under the EU Settlement rules. Whilst there may yet be a deal which means your license will be valid after the 30 March next year there is now a real possibility that it will not.

The good news is that the process to exchange is fairly simple. You can do this online with the government website or by obtaining a D1 application form from major Post Offices. Here is our quick guide for the process:

In order to exchange your license, you must meet the following conditions:

You must be a resident of the United Kingdom and/or have lived for at least l85 days at a permanent address in the UK.

Your foreign license must still be valid.

You must surrender your old EU license to the DVLA in order to receive your new UK License – you cannot hold both.

If you meet the above criteria and want to exchange your current EU driver’s license for a UK one, you need to submit the following documents:

A completed D1 application form from the DVLA

Your foreign driver’s license

Any additional supporting documents requested such as ID or proof of a legal change.

The fee is currently £43.

The whole process takes approximately three weeks.