• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatarmark galebi.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • #121134

      Brexit: Living in Sweden

      Visas and residency

      Check the entry requirements for Sweden.

      If you plan to live in Sweden for more than 1 year, you can register with the Swedish Population Register. The Swedish authorities will issue you an ID number (personnummer).

      You can only register if you have a right of residence (uppehållsrätt) for a year or more and comprehensive travel insurance. As an EU citizen, you will automatically have this right if you can support yourself, either by work or by other independent means, or you are studying.

      You will not be able to register if you are still looking for a job when you come to Sweden and or do not meet other requirements for residency.

      If you’re planning to move as a dependent to a family member who lives in Sweden you must apply for a residence permit.

      Visas and residency after Brexit

      If the UK leaves the EU with a deal you can live, work and travel in Sweden mostly as before until the end of the implementation period. Read the Swedish government guidance on residency after Brexit on the Swedish Migration Agency website (Migrationsverket).

      If the UK leaves the EU without a deal your residence permit will become invalid if it was acquired based on EU citizenship as opposed to Swedish national laws.

      The Swedish government has put in place rules to give you time to register correctly as a resident. UK nationals and their families, even from outside the EU, will be exempt from residency requirements for 1 year from the day the UK leaves the EU.

      Children under 18 who live outside Sweden will be included in the exemption if they join you during the grace period. Children born after Brexit will have the same rights as their parents.

      You do not have to do anything to be included in the exemption. Your rights to live, work, study, receive healthcare and social benefits will not be affected during this time.

      Once you have applied for a residency permit, your stay is legal. You can continue to receive social benefits until a decision is made.

      If you have applied for citizenship and this has not been approved toward the end of the 1-year exemption, you must apply for a residence permit. This will not affect your citizenship application.

      You can check updates to this guide and the Swedish Migration Agency website on when and how to apply for a residence permit or citizenship during the 1-year grace period.

      This guide will be updated as the Swedish government decides what will happen when the 1-year grace period ends.


      You can apply for or renew your British passport from Sweden.

      You can check the travel advice for Sweden.

      Passports and travel after Brexit

      After Brexit, the rules on travel will change. Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You’ll need to renew your passport before travelling if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

      If there is a deal, nothing will change until the end of 2020. In this time you can continue to travel freely in the Schengen area with your UK passport. What happens after 2020 will form the next part of negotiations.

      If there’s no deal, you must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

      If there’s no deal, UK nationals will not need visas for short stays elsewhere in the EU. You will be able to stay up to 90 days in another EU, EEA or EFTA country, within a 180-day period. You must retain evidence of travel, like train and plane tickets, in case these are requested by national authorities. If you hold a residence permit from an EU, EEA or EFTA country, you will be able to transit through other EU, EEA or EFTA countries to reach your country of residence.

      If you want to travel outside of the country on a UK passport you will need to have it stamped by the Swedish Migration Agency:

      • this indicates your status and allows you to return to Sweden without a residence permit. You only need to have your passport stamped once during the 1-year exemption period
      • apply on the Swedish Migration Agency website
      • the stamp is only valid for the 1-year exemption. After the exemption period, you cannot leave Sweden and be sure of return without a valid residency permit


      Read the NHS guidance on who can access healthcare in Sweden and how to register.

      You can also find information on the Swedish social insurance authority’s website (Försäkringskassan).

      If you live in Sweden and receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may currently be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 certificate.

      If you are resident in Sweden, you must not use a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the UK to access healthcare in Sweden.

      When you travel to Sweden for a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you can use an EHIC to access state-provided healthcare in that country. During that short stay:

      • the EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home
      • an EHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance
      • for more information you can read the travel advice pages and advice on foreign travel insurance

      If you are a student, read the NHS guidance on healthcare and studying abroad.

      You can find an English-speaking doctor in Sweden.

      Check that your prescriptions are legal in Sweden. Many over-the-counter medicines in the UK are only available by prescription in Sweden. You can only buy medicines at authorised chemists (Apoteket).

      Healthcare after Brexit

      If there is a deal, your current rights on access to healthcare in Sweden will remain the same until the end of the implementation period, as long as you remain a resident in Sweden.

      If there’s no deal, you will be able to continue to access healthcare for a 1-year grace period after Brexit.

      You must apply for a residence permit to continue to access healthcare after the 1-year grace period. You will continue to obtain healthcare until there is a decision on your application, even if it takes longer than a year.

      If you currently have your healthcare costs paid for by the UK government, we can help if you are asked to pay for treatment during the first 6 months after Brexit. To organise a payment, you must give your healthcare provider’s details to the NHS Business Services Authority’s Overseas Healthcare Services.

      The UK government has offered to continue paying the country you live in for your healthcare if there’s no deal, as it does now. The government has proposed maintaining current healthcare cooperation with Sweden for S1 form holders until the end of December 2020. If there’s no deal, and there is no arrangement with Sweden to continue reciprocal healthcare, pensioners receiving coverage through the S1 form will not be covered.

      Your EHIC may not be valid if there’s no deal. The UK has offered to maintain the EHIC scheme should the UK leave the EU without a deal, however this relies on Sweden continuing to accept UK EHICs.

      You should read the NHS guidance on healthcare for UK nationals living in Sweden and how it may change after Brexit.

      Working in Sweden

      You can read the guidance on working in another EU country.

      Some jobs may require a UK police certificate.

      You can find more information on the Swedish Public Employment Service website (Arbetsförmedlingen).

      Working in Sweden after Brexit

      Read the guidance on providing services after Brexit if you’re planning to start a business, provide a service, or do a job in a regulated profession after Brexit.

      If there is a deal, your right to work will stay the same until the end of the implementation period.

      If there’s no deal, you will be able to continue to work as normal for a 1-year grace period.

      You should:

      Money and tax

      The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Sweden to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.

      Read guidance on:

      You should obtain professional advice on paying tax in Sweden.

      You can find an English-speaking lawyer.

      National Insurance

      Find out if you can pay National Insurance while abroad so that you protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.

      If you are employed or self-employed in the EU and you have a UK-issued A1/E101 form, you will remain subject to UK legislation until the end date on the form.

      If the end date on your form is after 31 October 2019, you should contact the relevant EU, EEA or Swiss authority to confirm whether you need to start paying social security contributions in that country after 31 October, as well as UK National Insurance contributions.

      Find out more about social security contributions after a no-deal Brexit.

      Money and tax after Brexit

      If there’s no deal, it may become more expensive to use your UK bank card in the EU. You can read more about using a bank card, insurance or other financial service in the EU.

      Brexit will not change existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Sweden. Send your questions about double taxation to the relevant tax authority.


      You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your pension if you retire abroad.

      If you retire in Sweden, you can claim:

      Life certificates

      If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to fill it in promptly or your payments may be suspended.

      Pensions after Brexit

      The UK government will continue to pay a State Pension to those eligible in the EU after Brexit. Your UK State Pension will be uprated in April 2020, 2021 and 2022 if you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

      If there is a deal and you work and pay social security contributions in Sweden, you will still be able to add your UK social security contributions towards your Swedish pension. This will happen even if you claim your pension after the end of the implementation period.

      Read the guidance on pensions if there’s no deal.


      You may still be able to claim some UK benefits if you live in Sweden.

      You should:

      Many income-related benefits such as pension credit and housing benefit cannot be paid to you if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

      You can request proof of the time you’ve worked in the UK from HMRC if you are asked for this.

      Swedish benefits

      You may be eligible to claim some Swedish benefits. To find out contact:

      Benefits after Brexit

      The UK government will continue to pay child and disability benefits to those eligible after Brexit.

      If there is a deal and you work and pay social security contributions in Sweden, you will still be able to add your UK social security contributions towards your Swedish contribution-based benefits. This will happen even if you claim your pension after the end of the implementation period.

      You can read the guidance on access to benefits and services in the UK if there’s no-deal.

      Driving in Sweden

      If you are a resident in Sweden, you should exchange your UK licence for a Swedish driving licence before the UK leaves the EU.

      You can still use your Swedish licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test if you return to live in the UK.

      For more information on driving in Sweden, read:

      You must read the EU guidance on car registration and taxes in Sweden. You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so, you will need certificates of exemption.

      Driving after Brexit

      If there is a deal, driving licence rules will stay the same during the implementation period.

      If there’s no deal, your driving licence will remain valid in Sweden for 1 year.

      You can read the guidance on driving in the EU after Brexit.


      You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

      If you’re resident in Sweden, you can vote in local municipal and European parliamentary elections.

      The election authorities will send you a voting card to the address linked to your ID number (folkbokföringsadress).

      You cannot vote in general elections.

      Voting after Brexit

      After Brexit, you can continue to vote in Swedish local elections. You can read more information on the Swedish government’s election authority website (Valmyndigheten).

      You will not be able to vote in European Parliament elections. The election authority will update information (in Swedish) on its website.

      Births, deaths and getting married

      If your child is born in Sweden, you need to register the birth abroad.

      If someone dies in Sweden you can:

      Find out how you can get married abroad.

      You may also need English-speaking lawyers in Sweden, or notary services in Sweden.

      Accommodation and buying property

      Read guidance on how to buy or let property in Sweden.


      You will still be able to travel to and from the UK with a cat, dog or ferret when the UK leaves the EU, but the rules will change. You can read the guidance on pet travel to Europe after Brexit.

      While the UK is still a member of the EU you’ll be able to travel with your pet to the EU under the current pet travel rules using your current EU pet passport. If you’re travelling with your pet for the first time you must visit your vet to get a pet passport.

      You can read the guidance on returning your cat, dog or ferret to the UK.

      For moving pet horses and other equines read the guidance on export horses and ponies: special rules.

      Other useful information

      Returning to the UK

      Read the guidance on:

      Tell the Swedish and UK authorities if you are planning to return to the UK permanently.

      To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

      If you get healthcare in Sweden through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to cancel your S1 at the right time.


      Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Swedish authorities.

      Source: gov.uk

    • #121581

      wonderful forum contains all the information you need as an EU citizen who wants to live and work in the uk, thank you from the bottom of my heart, clear and knowledgeable staff who answer any questions quickly and well
      kind regards

    • #121584

      Thank you for your kind words Rami!

    • #121585

      Great Forum!

    • #121825
      Avatarmark galebi

      After Brexit Visa is a must in the United Kingdom. last news of Brexit “The deal is done, Brexit supporters say leaving Europe will give the United Kingdom more freedom to strike trade give out around the world, declaring that the UK would remain Europe’s ally and “number one market.

      Visit for more information: https://theangeltrust.com/impacts-of-brexit-on-trusts-and-tax-policies/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.