Home Forum Brexit Decoded Forum EU Country Specific Threads Slovenia Residency – Passports and Travel Updates

  • This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by BDGeorgeBDGeorge.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    • #121710

      Passports and travel section updated to include information on passport validity and entry requirements when travelling to other European countries from January 2021

      The Withdrawal Agreement

      The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU and provides for a deal on citizens’ rights. It sets out a transition period which lasts until 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to live, work and study in the EU broadly as you did before 31 January 2020.

      If you are resident in Slovenia at the end of the transition period, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Slovenia.

      Any rights that are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement will be the subject of future negotiations. Read this guidance page for more information

      In the meantime, make sure you are registered as a resident in Slovenia. We will update this guidance as soon as more information becomes available.

      You should also read the guidance on living in Europe.

      Visas and residency

      Check the entry requirements for Slovenia.

      If you are resident in Slovenia before the transition period ends on 31 December 2020, you will be able to stay.

      If you plan to stay in Slovenia for more than 90 days you need to register as a resident at your local town hall (Upravna enota) (in Slovene).

      You will need:

      • your UK passport
      • a passport photo
      • your EHIC card
      • a bank statement
      • your work contract, if you are employed
      • a pension statement, if you get a pension
      • proof of school enrolment, if you are a student

      You must check with your town hall what further documentation you may need to apply for residency.

      Once you’ve held temporary residency in Slovenia for 5 years, you can apply to your town hall for a permanent resident certificate (Potrdilo o Stalnem Bivanju). Read the Slovenian government’s guidance on entering Slovenia.

      If there are changes to residency registration processes, we will update this guidance as soon as information is available.

      Applying for Slovenian citizenship
      Once you’ve been officially resident in Slovenia for 10 years (or 1 year if you are married to a Slovene national), you can apply for Slovenian citizenship.

      You will need to apply for Slovenian citizenship at your local town hall. You will need to:

      You may also need to obtain a birth, marriage or death certificate from the UK.

      You may also be required to have all your UK documents officially translated and legalised (apostilled).

      Passports and travel

      The rules on travel will stay the same until the transition period ends on 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to travel to countries in the Schengen area or elsewhere in the EU with your UK passport.

      Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay.

      You can apply for or renew your British passport from Slovenia.

      Passports from 1 January 2021
      Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip.

      From 1 January 2021, you must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are entering or transiting to Slovenia, and you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

      If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

      You will need to renew your passport before travelling if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

      As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may need to show a return or onward ticket and that you have enough money for your stay. You may also have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. Your passport may be stamped for visits to these countries.

      Entry requirements
      From 1 January 2021, you will be able to travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism. This is a rolling 180-day period.

      To stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel, you will need to meet the entry requirements set out by the country to which you are travelling. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit. You may also need to get a visa if your visit would take you over the 90 days in 180 days limit.

      Periods of stay authorised under a visa or permit will not count against the 90-day limit. Travel to the UK and Ireland will not change.

      Different rules will apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen Area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.


      This information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Slovenian authorities.

      Source: gov.uk

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.